Location: West Meon
Awards: Finalist for the East Hampshire District Council Conservation and Design Award, 2004.
Client: Private Client
The Coach House at Westbury House is a listed building dating from 1747. The dramatically symmetrical western elevation has a 3 storey tower at each end with deep arched recesses. Unfortunately the building was on the local authority's buildings at risk register and had lost one of the towers roofs and rot had set into some roof and floor timbers. PWP architects redesigned a previous scheme to convert the building in two residences. The new scheme was respectful to the perfectly balanced facades, and yet added the grandeur of the building to the interiors including cantilevered stone stair flights and long drawings rooms. Modern glass screens were used in the deep recessed openings as this maintained dark shadows so important to the facades. The building was carefully conserved using new locally made joinery and a clock replacing a clock face that had been removed 50 years earlier.